Sunday, April 19, 2009

It's all Stephanie's fault...

I have been so good about finishing up my forgotten projects ever since I committed to Jacquie's Spring to Finish. I haven't started new projects even though I have about 10 in my head that I would like to do. I've been sooo good.

Then on Monday I got a surprise package in the mail from my bloggy friend Stephanie. The very generous Stephanie sent me 2 ABC panels that I had wanted but also included other yummy fat quarters and 40 charm squares of Heather Bailey's Bijoux and Pop garden line. These guys taunted me. They wanted to be made into something. I paid daily visitation to them and drooled and petted them but resisted the urge to start a new project even though it was KILLING ME!


I made 2 quilt backs for some forgotten quilt tops. I started quilting a quilt that I'm making for Stephanie's MIL . I was so happy when I was done because it meant one more project completed. Then I turned the quilt around and saw a big, huge pucker. Arrrgh! I had to step away from the quilt for awhile.
I've been meaning to make a whirly giggle quilt for a while. There's a lot of great tutorials out there for it. I used this one because it's really a detailed tutorial with pictures and she also used charm squares. I had intended to make one or two blocks and then go back to fixing the puckers on my quilt. The thing is, these whirly giggle blocks are really easy to put together and before I knew it, all 20 blocks were made. I added white sashing because I really wanted to whirly giggle blocks to pop but it just seemed really white. It was also a little on the small size at 42"x52.5".



I raided my own stash of Pop Garden. I had the Pineapple Brocade line in both yellow and green so I cut 5" squares and made a border. I love the result!




Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to spend some quality time with my seam ripper.
Edited to add: Okay so it may not be ALL Stephanie's fault. I'm sure my lack of willpower may have something to do with it.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! I love your blog too. I don't know why haven't been here before... I am such a bad friend I didn't know you had one. Now I do and you are on my rss feeds.

    You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love it.
    And I understand the pucker annoyance-- I was having some bobbin issues this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whirly giggles are fabulous!! The addition of border makes it even more beautiful :)

    So sorry about the puckering. It's a lot of work with the seam ripper :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Embrace the seam ripper!!! Trust me, I know all about it!

    I love, love, love that quilt. HB is a favorite of mine. I'm saving my pop garden for apartment decorating this summer, but its still hard not to cut into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the whirlygigs - don't love seam rippers but I seem to always spend quality time with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to visit my sister for two weeks and my plan was to make her a quilt during my visit. I couldnt decide what I wanted to make, and than I saw your whirly giggle quilt. This is what I am going to make her! Now I just need to decide on the fabrics. I think I am going to use Woodland Bloom by Lila Tueller since she loves pink and green. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete