Sunday, February 8, 2009

Pieced Together Quilting Bee

I've joined a virtual quilting bee. Each month, the selected person sends fabric out to each of us and we create a block for her. Each person decides on what kind of block and size of the block. There are 20 women in this quilting bee so some months, we'll do two blocks. I think this will give me an opportunity to try new techniques and styles. I think someone in the group wants a paper pieced block. I'm not crazy about paper piecing and normally, I wouldn't try it so this forces me to practice and step out of my comfort zone. My month won't be until January of 2010. It seems like so far away but 2008 flew by for me.
The first block is for Katie. She wanted an improvised block. Let me tell you, I was sweating it cutting someone's else's fabric. I stressed a little when I started to put the block together but I stopped thinking about it and just started to piece scraps of fabric together. All the fabric in this block is hers except for the solid brown piece. The finished block is 12". I'm beginning to really like improvised scrap blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment