Monday, May 25, 2009

Rainbow swap quilt top

Back in March, I joined JanesFabrics' rainbow swap. It was a centralized quilt block swap. You choose your color and the block you wanted to do and you made 9 blocks. In the end, you would get a small sampler quilt. I wanted a larger quilt so I ended up joining 2 sections. I made 9 yellow blocks called paper pinwheels and 9 maroon blocks called friendship star variation.

Jane is a wonderful swap hostess! She is so organized and very encouraging to all the swappers. She even sent me these beautiful coasters for joining the swap! I should be the one sending HER a gift for organizing the swap. What a sweetie!



I received my blocks on Saturday. I love getting random mail from all the bees. It was so weird to get all my blocks at the same time but also exciting at the same time. I had plans for Saturday night but I started putting my blocks together when I got home. Around 1:30 a.m. I realized I needed 2 more blocks so I made 2 blocks in pink because all quilts need a little pink :) I stayed up until 4:30a.m. working on my quilt top. Sunday was an overcast/ rainy day so I was able to finish it. I didn't get a picture until today. Here it is...my pretty Rainbow quilt top....



The finished quilt top measures 66"x80". Soooo pretty!
Jane will be hosting a Halloween swap mid June so make sure you visit her blog and keep an eye out for the post. I know I'm going to.



12 comments:

  1. Oh awesome! The pink is a nice addition. I was trying to figure out how you got 20 blocks out of it! Hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks outstanding!! I adore pink and it fits in so well. This swap was such fun and thanks for the shout out about the Halloween one!! it was such fun to have you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm glad you sent me the link to your finished top! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who gets the sewing bug and stays up until 4:30am!!

    Beautiful quilt, glad I could be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply awesome!!! I haven't received my blocks yet but after seeing yours, now I'm sorry I didn't join up for two as well. What a beautiful job you've done.

    Thanks in advance for your block and of course to Jane who did a marvellous job as swap hostess.

    I'll be on the lookout for the Halloween one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you are fast!! Love your piece. I am looking forward to gretting mine together. Thanks for sharng.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so great! And a perfect size for keeping warm. I'm sorry I sorry I missed out on this swap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure the best way to answer questions in the comments of blogs but to answer your question about the embroidery girls. It took me 6-8 hours of often interrupted time to get them done depending on how intricate they were. BTW, love the qwuilt. I love how they pop with the white background. It makes it look almost like the Hawaiian quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this quilt... it is so cool. I love all of the blocks. Such a cool idea. You are so talented and well motivated. I need to get off here and get motivated now... okay I am going right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty! I like the one that looks like DNA (double helix).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy to see a finished quilt. I was in two sections too (different from yours) and I was thinking of making 2 pink blocks as well. Loved how yours turned out. It give me motivation to work on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still trying to decide on mine. Lovely. The swaps are so fun.

    ReplyDelete